Sugar and Spice Cupcakes with Strawberry Kefir Buttercream
It’s been so cold out lately that the baby and I have been hunkered down in the house working on cozy recipes from stuff we have in the pantry because I’m too lazy to hit the store when it’s this cold!!!
These little buddies are EVERYTHING NICE!! The frosting is really the star of the show! Who knew?! WE had some strawberry kefir what was about to expire so I thought, why not? It adds just the right amount of tang and sour to a typically very sweet item. With the pinch of salt, it’s INSANE!!
- 2 1/4 cups (318g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Tidal Salt Fleur de Sel
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 3/4 cups (370g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup (175ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (185g) unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tblsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together dry ingredients. Set aside. Whip remaining ingredients. Add to the dry and stir until combined. Portion into 24 pre-paper lined cupcake pans. Bake for roughly 20ish minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack and make your frosting.
- 3 Tblsp room temp butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3-4 Tblsp Strawberry kefir
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
Tidal Salt Garnish Directions – flavour of your choice
- Whip the butter, cream cheese, kefir until light and thoroughly combined. Add Sugar. Slowing build mixer up to full speed then whip the shit out of it for about 5 minutes until the frosting is super fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with Tidal Salt! We likes the Red Wine, Coffee, and Black Rocks for this recipe, but Lime and Standard were also awesome!!!
Order yours today!